Do you also get the constant urge to upgrade to the newest and most advanced device? Well, the good thing is that you don’t always have to break the bank to get a great model.
Getting older phone models can be a savvy strategy to save money. Plus, you still enjoy a wealth of impressive features and popular apps. From high-quality cameras to immersive displays, from snappy processors to long-lasting batteries, these past-generation flagship phones can exceed your expectations without straining your wallet.
Why You Should Consider Older Phones
One of the remarkable aspects of smartphone hardware is its ability to age gracefully over several years, especially in the flagship category.
Gone are the days when phones become obsolete as soon as a new model hits the market. Today's smartphones, even in the mid-tier segment, are equipped with 5G connectivity, faster processors, and improved cameras that can stand the test of time.
Whether you opt for a flagship or a mid-range device, you can expect it to run your favorite apps and games smoothly for years to come. And with the current availability of older phones, there has never been a better time to embark on the quest for a bargain. Find out our top picks for past-generation flagship phones that are still worth buying in 2023.
Top 11 Past Generation Flagship Phones You Should Buy in 2023
The iPhone 13 remains a compelling choice in 2023. With its powerful performance, exceptional camera capabilities, and seamless iOS integration, it offers a smooth user experience.
The A15 Bionic chip ensures efficient multitasking and gaming, while the advanced camera system captures stunning visuals. Regular software updates ensure access to the latest features and security enhancements.
- Impressive battery life
- Unmatched performance
- Superb camera system
- Expanded base storage
- Limited design alterations
- A smaller notch has minimal impact
- Slower charging compared to competitors
- Absence of a 120Hz screen
- Unchanged selfie camera sensor
The Samsung Galaxy S22 remains a worthy purchase in 2023. Despite a few downgraded components compared to its predecessors, such as a smaller screen and lower telephoto megapixel count, the S22 offers significant improvements in other areas.
With a new chipset and enhanced build quality, among other aspects, Samsung has ensured a more powerful and durable device. The S22's overall performance, coupled with its reliable reputation and access to a wide range of features, makes it an appealing choice for smartphone enthusiasts seeking a top-tier experience.
- Vibrant and vivid display
- Enhanced zoom and low-light photography capabilities
- Reliable overall performance
- Below-average battery life
- Cameras fall short compared to Pixel 6 and iPhone 13
- Insufficient 3700 mAh battery capacity
- Slow charging speed
- Limited changes from the previous S21 model
If you're seeking a device that offers impressive performance and fast charging speeds, the OnePlus 9 is certainly worth considering.
One of its standout features is its affordable price point, making it an attractive choice for those looking for a budget-friendly device without compromising on performance. Plus, the OnePlus 9 still has a considerable amount of support left, with security patches expected to be provided until early 2024.
- Attractive and functional design with a sturdy build
- Stunning display
- Swift and smooth performance for seamless usage
- Streamlined user interface
- No main camera stabilization and telephoto camera
- No expandable storage
- Plastic frame
- Wireless charging maxes out at 15W
iPhone 11 Pro Max
Despite being succeeded by newer iPhone models, such as the iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and iPhone 14 lineups, the iPhone 11 Pro Max remains a viable choice for those considering an iPhone purchase in 2023.
Released in September 2019, the iPhone 11 Pro Max strikes a remarkable balance between design and performance. It just falls behind in the camera department when compared to more recent iterations like the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14. But for users seeking a dependable and capable iPhone experience, this model still holds its own in the ever-evolving smartphone landscape.
- Powerful A13 Bionic CPU
- Bright and vibrant display
- Impressive triple camera system with exceptional night mode capabilities
- Long-lasting battery life
- Inclusion of earphones and a fast charger in the box
- Attractive and durable back design
- Outdated design
- Lack of innovation in comparison to newer smartphones
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
The Samsung Note 20 Ultra marks the final installment of the renowned Note family. While it may have been around for a while, it remains a formidable smartphone boasting impressive specifications, excellent cameras, and the iconic S Pen. Its powerful performance and enduring reputation solidify its standing as an excellent device, even in the face of newer models.
- Impressive camera performance
- Reasonable battery life
- Sleek and appealing design
- S Pen remains a standout feature
- MicroSD card support for expanded storage
- Plastic back detracts from the premium feel
- Relatively high price
- Lack of curved edge display
- Awkward placement of speakers
- No expandable storage beyond the included internal storage
Google Pixel 6
While the Google Pixel 6 may no longer hold the flagship status in 2023 and will soon be surpassed by newer generations, it remains a compelling choice for potential buyers.
Google has consistently equipped its flagship devices with premium specifications, setting them apart from budget options and ensuring their longevity. As a result, the hardware of the Pixel 6 ages gracefully, allowing buyers to opt for the latest high-end version available.
- The Tensor chip brings enhanced intelligence to the phone
- Impressive photo-editing capabilities
- Android 12 update provides a refreshing user experience
- Unique and appealing design
- Competitive pricing
- Sluggish fingerprint sensor performance
- Battery life may be limited when using 5G
- Occasional color issues with photos
Samsung Galaxy S20
Despite not being the most captivating smartphone in Samsung's lineup, the Samsung Galaxy S20 still holds its own as a reliable and feature-rich device, making it a viable option to consider in 2023.
While it may have been overshadowed by newer releases, the Galaxy S20 remains a solid choice with its premium build quality and an array of impressive features. Moreover, as time has passed, the price of the Galaxy S20 has become more affordable, adding further incentives for prospective buyers.
- IP68 water resistance for added durability
- Wireless Samsung Dex for seamless connectivity
- Impressive 8K video recording capabilities
- Fast charging support for quick power-ups
- Affordable pricing for its feature set
- Battery life falls short of expectations
- In-display fingerprint sensor is not highly effective for unlocking
- Limited color options available
iPhone SE (2022)
People seeking a compact device with upgraded hardware will be drawn to the current iPhone SE. It continues to deliver satisfactory performance in 2023, effortlessly handling all available apps and mobile games, while its camera capabilities remain impressive. These aspects have remained consistent since its release, making the iPhone SE (2022) a reliable choice for users seeking a compact and capable iPhone experience.
- Affordable price point
- Exceptional performance levels
- High-quality craftsmanship
- Surprisingly impressive photo and video capabilities
- Solid battery life that lasts throughout the day and into the evening
- Outdated display technology
- Limited camera functions compared to some competitors
- Base model offers low storage capacity without expandable memory
- Higher initial price compared to its predecessor
LG V60 ThinQ
The LG V60 ThinQ remains a compelling choice in 2023 with its impressive flagship features. While some may hesitate due to its 60Hz refresh rate, the LG V60 ThinQ's overall package is comparable to premium devices like the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, making it a worthwhile option to consider.
- 8K video recording capabilities
- Impressive 5000mAh battery for long-lasting usage
- OLED dual screen for enhanced multitasking
- Retains the convenience of a headphone jack
- Supports wireless charging and has an IP68 rating for water and dust resistance
- Cameras still lag behind the competition in terms of quality
- Lack of a telephoto lens for zoom capabilities
- Bulky dual screen case adds extra weight and size to the device
- Skinned Android interface may not be as clean or streamlined as stock Android versions
Oppo Find X3 Pro
The model remains a compelling choice in 2023, especially with its significant price drop since its initial launch. The phone boasts a triple-lens camera system on the rear, including a standard lens, an ultra-wide lens, and a telephoto lens.
It also features a unique macro/close-up lens that allows you to capture intricate details with its "microscope" mode. With its attractive price and impressive camera capabilities, the Oppo Find X3 Pro continues to be a worthwhile investment for smartphone photography enthusiasts.
- Eye-catching 120Hz display with a sleek design
- Significant improvements in Oppo's software
- Impressive performance powered by Snapdragon chipset
- Versatile and powerful camera system
- Beautiful design with curved glass around the camera module
- Steep price tag may deter some buyers
- Lack of a periscope camera for advanced zoom capabilities
- Shiny finish prone to fingerprints and smudges
Huawei P30 Pro
Despite the challenges faced by Huawei in recent times, the Huawei P30 Pro remains a worthwhile choice in 2023, especially for photography enthusiasts. As the last Huawei model to have access to the Google Play store, it ensures a seamless and familiar user experience. If you prioritize a reliable device with outstanding camera capabilities, the Huawei P30 Pro is a solid option to consider.
- Top-tier performance
- Impressive battery life that lasts a long time
- Excellent all-around camera performance with advanced AI capabilities
- Exceptional low-light shooting capabilities
- Impressive 5X optical zoom functionality
- Screen resolution falls behind that of competitors
- Zoom options are not available in standard photo mode at 40MP
- Lack of a headphone jack
- Slippery glass design, prone to slipping
- No wireless charging feature
How Old Should The Flagship Phone Be?
When considering how old is too old, it's always recommended to choose a phone that still receives security patches. This ensures that your device remains protected from potential vulnerabilities.
However, it's important to note that you don't necessarily have to buy an older phone to find a good deal. Many manufacturers now offer affordable smartphones that are built to last.
For example, Google Pixel phones come at attractive price points and offer at least five years of security updates. Similarly, Samsung's S22, S20, and Note 20 provide excellent value for money and are supported with several years of software updates.
Get Your Perfect Second-Hand Flagship Phone at CompAsia
Now that you've explored the best past generation flagship phones worth buying in 2023, are you ready to find your next smartphone?
At CompAsia, we offer a wide selection of second-hand smartphones that you can trust. Our commitment to delivering top-quality devices ensures that you'll receive a reliable and affordable phone.
Plus, we provide free, fast, and secure nationwide delivery, ensuring a convenient shopping experience. Should you need any assistance, our dedicated customer support team is always available to help you make the right purchase.
Whether you're an Apple enthusiast, a Samsung lover, a Huawei fan, or prefer brands like Oppo, Vivo, or Xiaomi, we have the perfect smartphone for you. Explore our catalog of highly discounted second-hand devices and find the one that suits your needs and budget.